We are a loving body of seekers and believers in Jesus Christ,
seeking to know Christ and grow in Christ together, creatively bringing Christ’s message of hope to our community and world:

Through God’s Word, prayer and our worship of God;
• Through fellowship and our shared life together;
And through evangelism, service and outreach.

Our Story



“Come to the Fire” by Richard Gorsuch (2005)
Historic painting of the beginning of Community Church in 1927
“Come to the Fire” by Richard Gorsuch (2005)
Historic painting of the beginning of Community Church in 1927

In 1930, during the early years of the Great Depression, a small, faithful group of Christians in Cannon Beach gathered together and planted Cannon Beach’s first congregation, Cannon Beach Community Church. What this first congregation lacked in finances, they made up for in prayer, faith and loving service to the Cannon Beach community.

The beginnings of this congregation date back to the summers of the late 1920’s, when daily Vacation Bible School was held on the beach and Christian worship services were held around beach fires on summer evenings and on Sunday mornings at the public school house, led by visiting pastors of various denominations. Soon, the informal congregation outgrew the school house. Though times were difficult for all in Cannon Beach during the Great Depression, on November 2, 1930, Cannon Beach’s first church was founded with 21 charter members. That same year, a hilltop lot was purchased for $400, a site to build a sanctuary for worship of God. Built largely with volunteer labor, the new sanctuary was dedicated to Jesus Christ, August 2, 1931 including a three-story bell tower. The bells of Cannon Beach first rang on Easter Sunday in 1934, the year a bell was donated to the church.

We were affiliated with the Presbyterian Church USA for 82 years. Pastor David Robinson came to serve in Cannon Beach with his wife and family in 1993. In 1996 we renovated the weather-worn original sanctuary, dedicating the new sanctuary to God’s glory, in April 1997. In 2012, the congregation and Cascades Presbytery voted almost unanimously to move our affiliation to the Evangelical Covenant Church, and to share life together in Christ with our brothers and sisters in Christ within the Covenant Church along with fellow congregations here on the north Oregon Coast. Cannon Beach Community Church has consistently grown in faith, hope and love, as well as in membership since her humble, faith beginnings in the 1930s. We have between 150 and 200 people in worship each week.